Paleo f (x) Austin 2014: Becoming the Bridge: A Practical Approach to Aligning Western Medicine and Ancestral Health
Speaker: Dr. Rick Henriksen
How can we frame our message to help teach patients or families and friends?
- Build a relationship of trust
- Remain patient – not forceful and don’t give up if they don’t want to make the change overnight
- Frame the issue/story
- Narrative stories
- Figures of speech – i. e. ‘Caveman’ diet
- Metaphors – i.e. ‘eat real food’, ‘Atkins’, numbers (%’s etc.). Ok to use these as tools
- Ambiguity – using the term ‘whole food diet’ or even ‘plant-based diet’ can build coalitions
- Ditch the negative and remain positive
Use a role model to show a positive change. Importance of introducing elements of an ancestral health diet into other diets such as FODMAPS, DASH etc.
“It is about creating a culture where nutrition is an instrument to treat illness”
There has been a re-structuring of guidelines for health practitioners to ensure that a greater number of people are on drugs such as statins.
Help people to think about what they are doing and then go from there
- How important is it to them?
- How likely are they to make a change?
Find out more about the speaker: